Welcome!

We live in a multicultural society where everyone has unique and interesting backgrounds.
Including in these is FOOD, which plays an important role in our lives.
Like everything else, food varies from one culture to the other. For example, it is found that eating pork
is perfectly normal in one country and prohibited in another.


We are a group of students from Vanier College in Montreal, Canada. As a school project
for our humanities class World Views on Food Production, each one of us had to come up with a special recipe.
This recipe had to either be a tradition that has been present in our family for many years or
have a symbolic meaning/historical background attached to it, which is part of our culture.


Because we didn't want to keep them only to ourselves, we created this blog to share with you our recipes!
Among these recipes, you will find appetizers, main dishes and desserts.


In this blog, you'll be transported from North and South America all the way to Europe and Asia passing by Africa.
Enjoy as you discover new delicious foods from around the world!

TRINIDAD: Roti Chicken

By: Raye Hartmann


Trinidad and Tobago is my family’s background, and we take great pride in our culture. Its carnivals and its food are the two most important factors that give you a proper idea of what Trinidad is really about. My grandparents are the foundation, which keeps the tradition alive in my family. Holidays and gatherings bring my family together, and food is the reason why it does. Besides the other events that take place during my family gatherings, the food brings this uniqueness of our culture that brings us even closer; it’s a reminder of where my family comes from. Usually, gatherings consist of a basic Trinidad meal. The basic Trinidadian meal consists of rice, peas, potatoes and, of course, roti chicken.

Roti chicken has several different recipes that make each recipe unique in its own way. My grandmother has been making roti chicken for my family and me since I’ve been young. She shares her recipe to others in my family but no one can match her; she’s the only one who cooks this recipe for my family on holidays. My mother tells me that my grandmother’s cooking is her special gift to everyone in the family and we shouldn’t take it for granted. So, every holiday, we spend time with her and she cooks for everybody.

Trinidad and Tobago is my background that has an impact on my life through my family and friends. Its important values keep our culture together and strong for generations to come.


THE RECIPE

Ingredients:
- 4 boneless breast of chicken
- 2 mediums onions chopped in chunks
- 1 green pepper chopped in chunks
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbs. curry powder
- 2-3 tsp Blind Betty Original spice
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped parsley
- 4 large flower tortillas
- 1 jar. fruit salsa

Procedure:
1. In a large skillet sauté garlic, onion 1-2 minutes. Add chicken and sauté till cooked but still tender add green peppers and carrots. Sauté 1-2 min. Add chicken broth potatoes and as much water needed to cover everything. Simmer till potatoes are very tender and begin to reduce broth. Add all spices and flavouring to taste.
2. Cover and turn off. This can now stand till just before the serving time. It will then thicken a little as it cools. When its dinner time heat the roti mixture to a boil stirring with a spoon. You want a thick curry stew. Reduce more if too runny. Warm tortillas, place on plate, and put portion of roti in center of tortilla. Fold into flat tube with ends folded under.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about trying this recipe but it looked complicated so I just ordered it form restaurant. Result was a solid and taste is like wow. kati roll online order

    ReplyDelete