By: Felipe Munoz
Colombian Chicken Rice is one of the most famous Colombian recipes ever. Not only is it tasty and fresh, but also easy and fast to make. This fabulous plate is mainly common in hot regions such as Colombia’s second largest city, Cali. “Arroz con Pollo”, as it’s called in Spanish, is part of every “Caleño”’s life. It is mostly served at lunchtime and it is eaten at anytime of the year.
This acclaimed plate is offered in many restaurants all around the city and it can be accompanied with avocado, tomatoes or “arepa”(corn griddle-cake). Some people enjoy adding some ketchup or spicy sauce and it can be decorated with parsley. My family and I eat it very frequently, and sometimes, my mother makes it for a special occasion. The plate represents the diversity of Colombian cuisine, and the warm and friendly culture. You can try to cook this magnificent plate that will delight you and your guests in no time.
- 1 large chicken or boneless breasts
- 1 kg of rice
- 500 g of green beans
- 500 g of carrots
- 250 g of peas
- 500 g of sausage (optional)
- 1 large red pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1 clove garlic
1. Boil the chicken for 10 minutes in plenty of water, 1 garlic and cumin. Remove chicken and with the same broth cook the rice.
2. Cook the vegetables in salted water, dice carrots, beans and green peas; cut and stir-fry the sausages in a skillet. Once the vegetables are ready mix them with the sausages.
3. Bone the chicken, pull it apart or separate it with the hands and add it into the mix of vegetables and sausages. After 1 or 2 minutes, add the mix with all the ingredients to the rice, stir well and finally add ketchup, if wanted.
4. Serve in dishes on lettuce leaves accompanied by sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt
Tip to make it even tastier: add three tablespoons of butter when all ingredients are already mixed. Then, stir everything and leave on at low temperature for a few minutes.