Welcome!

We live in a multicultural society where everyone has unique and interesting backgrounds.
Including in these is FOOD, which plays an important role in our lives.
Like everything else, food varies from one culture to the other. For example, it is found that eating pork
is perfectly normal in one country and prohibited in another.


We are a group of students from Vanier College in Montreal, Canada. As a school project
for our humanities class World Views on Food Production, each one of us had to come up with a special recipe.
This recipe had to either be a tradition that has been present in our family for many years or
have a symbolic meaning/historical background attached to it, which is part of our culture.


Because we didn't want to keep them only to ourselves, we created this blog to share with you our recipes!
Among these recipes, you will find appetizers, main dishes and desserts.


In this blog, you'll be transported from North and South America all the way to Europe and Asia passing by Africa.
Enjoy as you discover new delicious foods from around the world!

CHINA: Char Siu

By: Hugo Choi


As a child, I always enjoyed going to restaurants with my parents. They would take me out every couple of weeks and we would spend some time together, of course with my sisters as well. Usually, we would go to a Chinese restaurant. Whenever I went to a Chinese restaurant, I would always order some sort of rotisserie. There were usually three kinds that were very common. The first is duck, the second is roasted pork and the third is barbecue pork.

Now that I’m older, I don’t go out with my parents as much. As a matter of fact, I would rather not go out with my parents. However I would still love to enjoy these delectable dishes whenever I get the chance. It is much more difficult to roast a duck or pork in a normal kitchen since the kitchens at the restaurant are higher powered. The good news is the following: making barbecue pork is much simpler. So I decided to ask my mother to teach me how to make this meal, which I really enjoy. Usually, this would be served with rice and some vegetables. All you have to do is bake it. It is an easy, simple meal and it is delicious at the very same time. Here is how you can learn to do the same.


THE RECIPE

Ingredients:
- Char Siu sauce
- 454g of pork


Procedure:
1. First, you must purchase some Char Siu sauce made by Lee Kum Kee. You can find this at any Chinese grocery store or potentially at your local super market. Also you must have a slab of pork, preferably with as little bone as possible.

2. Marinate the pork using the Char Siu sauce for at least two hours. For every 454g of pork, use 5 tbsp of the barbecue sauce. Then bake it in the oven at 180˚C for approximately 30 minutes.

3. While it is baking, frequently brush the Char Siu sauce onto the pork and turning it as well. This will allow the meat to be especially tender and juicy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment